A pioneer

who became famous in Saint-Emilion

The key moment in the history of the eponymous château Pavie Macquin comes from the famous Albert Macquin (1852-1911).
From 1887 Macquin purchased the châteaux of La Serre, Peygenestou (5 hectares), Pavie-Chapus (3.7 hectares), Pavie-Pigasse (5.7 hectares) as well as others, totalling what is now Château Pavie-Macquin’s approximately 26 hectares. An agricultural engineer, he popularised grafted plants which would save the vineyard after it was ravaged by phylloxera. He was truly a ‘man of reconstruction’. As Henri Enjalbert wrote, ‘Albert Macquin must be viewed as the grand master of the St Emilion vineyard’s transformation for more than thirty years’. An advocate of Vitis berlandieri, less susceptible to chlorosis, he produced more than a million plants in 1887. He developed scientific vine plot monitoring.
The château is now owned by his three grandchildren, Benoît and Bruno Corre and Marie Jacques Charpentier, as well as their own children. By continuing the tradition of their illustrious ancestry they demonstrate a deep attachment to this wonderful terroir. In late 1994, Maryse Barre’s successor Nicolas Thienpont was made manager of it, supported in his work by Stéphane Derenoncourt who had been working on site since 1990; together they have developed high-quality viticulture which has elevated the château to the prestigious rank of Premier Grand Cru Classé wine.